Friday, August 17, 2007

Questions from the road

I was cycling through town this morning, after taking advantage of ten-cent morning coffee at the new Hamley's coffeehouse, when i began spotting heavily bumper-stickered cars. There were a variety of them, as you might imagine, but I did notice certain constants. The cars that had "support our troops," "pray for our troops," and "freedom isn't free" also typically had one or more of the following: "One man, one woman, no on 36(recent anti-gay measure)," "abortion stops a beating heart" and "I support President George W. Bush. These colors don't run."

I can follow some of this, I guess. if you are pro-life, you will probably be pro-sex-for-procreation only, which gay couples aren't going to be able to manage. I can even see being pro-Bush, since Bush is pro-life, and a lot of pro-lifers are single issue voters. But how in the world could you back the Iraq war, as these people obviously do, if you are pro-life? The civilian casualties the Iraqi population has sustained almost certainly include Iraqi unborn children, as well as already-born children, men, women, adolescents, old people. I can't understand the logic in supporting the terrible destruction this country has wrought on a nation that did nothing to us, while proclaiming your respect for life. Is it just American lives that count? Is that it?

Is there something here that I am not understanding, or are these just dumb questions? Please, all you smart people, help me understand this apparent contradiction.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't ask me. I'm still trying to figure out why the anti-abortion crowd cares so much about unborn babies but doesn't put a dime or any efforts into the care of born babies. Or why the make it illegal crowd wants desperately to arrest & jail doctors who perform abortions, but not the women who have them performed. I guess if you're well practiced in hypocrisy, then support for the war isn't all that difficult.

4:25 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

Every once in a while, one of them pigeon-holes me on the street and, asks if I'm pro-life. I know the fun is about to begin.

"Yes I am," I say, "how about you?"

"I am too!" they beam.

"Wonderful!" I say, "and how long have you been against capital punishment?"

"But... but... but," they stammer, "I'm FOR capital punishment!!"

"I see, " I reply, "so you're REALLY pro-death."

I've had that conversation about a dozen times over they years. And if looks could kill, I'd be a goner.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Mr. Natural said...

I just don't COMPUTE...

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter