Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Did Bush Lie, Bend the Truth, Offer Misdirection, or is He Just Stupid?

Ha, trick question. The answer is all four! All in all, an interesting state of disunion speach by Bush. I'm now waiting for the "well, I'm sure what I mean to say now that I can see you've got the facts is . . . " speech. Ok, so won't happen. But can always hope.

Bush: "Every year of my presidency, we have reduced the growth of non-security discretionary spending." True, true. Note the key phrase -- NON-SECURITY DISCRETIONARY. So, as long as you don't count the war, and the war on terrorism, he may have reduced growth. No, oops wait, there's that Katrina thing. Oh well, I'm sure he didn't intentially mean to mislead the American public.

Bush: "America is feeding the hungry -- more than 60 percent of international food aid comes as a gift from the people of the United States." 60%. Not bad. And what percentage of Bush's own Americans, including a high percentage of children, go hungry on a regular basis?

Bush: "We are meeting that responsibility [of providing health care for poor & elderly]." Well, he HAS met his responsibility of creating a system that noone can decipher and thus can't use. The Kaiser Family Foundation notes that the number of Americans without health insurance has increased by 5 million since Bush singed up as prez. Two-thirds of these are in low-income families.


2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Gee said...

Good points. As a retired counselor, I am keenly aware of how hollow the words "compassion conservative" are they are put into practice. BTW, I wrote a blog about hunger last Thanksgiving: Hunger

7:36 PM  
Blogger AKH said...

Does anybody really believe the BS that comes out of that man's mouth anymore? I could only look at his smug face for 30 minutes before I had to turn off the boob-tube. By the way, I think it was named after him. :)

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter