Saturday, April 07, 2007

RAN! RAN!, or Really Astonishing Nonsense

Thank goodness the British sailors held by Iran got home safely. I thought the treatment they received was completely unworthy of a people that craves respect and a place among civilized nations, but that is a matter for another post.

One day before the crisis ended, I was struck by Ahmadinejad's prattling about how terrible it was that Britain sent a wife and mother out to sea. Of course, British women have long served in the armed forces, just as they do here, because western societies tend to believe in equality of opportunity. It is one of our fundamental values in this day and age, and it certainly sets us apart from fundamentalist Islamic societies, which shut women away physically, mentally and socially. As I listened to Ahmadinejad, I silently cheered him on, because that's what the world needs to know about Iran--it isn't a revolutionary or dynamic society at all, it specializes in mysogyny and antediluvianism. That's not very multicultural of me, but that's how I see it.

So imagine my amazement when I run through the Washington Post columns today and find Kathleen Parker, not usually someone I agree with but a reasonably intelligent and sane woman, AGREEING WITH AHMADINEJAD(!!). Ms. Parker claims we should all feel HUMILIATED at the fact that one of the captives was a wife and mother, it made us look JUST TERRIBLE. It was the most astonishing thing I've read in months, given all the talk since 9/11 about our waging war in Afghanistan to guarantee women's rights, our diversity and equality being our great strengths, our unwillingness to waste talent, and all the rest of it. To put it mildly, Parker has got to be kidding.

If she's not, let's send her some Islamic garb in which she can disappear for awhile, until she comes to her senses.

1 Comments:

Blogger TomCat said...

I haven't deserted you. been sick and just kept up my own place in the last few days. Happy Easter.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter