Thursday, June 07, 2007

A Much Belated Thank You to Politics Plus

For naming Make it Stop! Make it Stop one of its five picks for the Thinking Blogger Award. As tradition dictates, Buckarooskidoo & I have selected five blogs that we think are well worth your time.



South by Southwest - Carol Gee's blog where she posts "ideas and reflections -
my observations and commentary on people and events that affect the USA or the rest of the world." She spends a good amount of time looking at the whole world, showing us many things that the American press ignore.

Hometown Baghdad - Described as "A web documentary series about life in Baghdad," Hometown Baghdad features the work of Iraqi filmmakers who are doing their best to document daily life in Iraq under American occupation. It is difficult and dangerous, but crucial work and my hat is off to these brave people.

Thoughts from Baghdad
- Fatima, who wisely gives no last name, says she was born & raised in the US. Her blog includes images and thoughts about life in "post-Saddam Baghdad." This Baghdad is a place where one can find a "sigh of relief" in a peaceful death - "Three days ago, my husband sent me a message. He wrote, "Sorry, I have more bad news." My heart immediately sunk. I went on to read, "Amma R's husband died today." I continued to read, "He was really sick and his heart gave out." Ironically, I sighed a sigh of relief. Alhamdulillah, it was a natural death."

Kiko's House - Shaun Mullen's blog was one of the first added to our recommended blogs list. He was, as he notes on his page, "born to blog" and shares his keen reporter's eye and sense with us. Taking a journey through the news with Mullen is like seeing what we could learn if the mainstream media wasn't so busy feeding its corporate masters. Keeping things lively and interesting, Mullen adds in a few blogs about culture and of course the original Kiko (meow, meow).

Finally, Tennessee Guerrilla Women is devoted to fighting the radical right in Tennessee and in the Nation. If every state had the devoted fighting women of TGW out there, I doubt that Congress would think twice before spending its time and efforts on voting to keep us in Iraq while wasting time making English the official language. It's blogs like TGW that keep on politicians at local and national levels to listen to the people who put them in office - not the hands doling out money to them when they get to DC.

And thank you again Politics Plus - for your efforts in the blogosphere.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shaun Mullen said...

Kiko was sitting in the DF&C's lap when I read this and went into full two-part purr, kind of like Tuvan throat singing with drool.

Thank you for the mention and many happy blog returns!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Carol Gee said...

Like Kiko, my cup runneth over! I am a thinker, which sometimes gets me into trouble. Thanks so much for the tag. I will keep on trying to deserve it, as Make it Stop. . . certainly does. Congrats to you guys!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Fatima said...

Thank you very much for this honor. Highly appreciated!

10:44 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

LP, I was most happy to make this award to your most excellent blog. While an Oregon TomCat should watch out for Oregon kitties, I dodn't even heve to show preference. You deserve it. Your choices look excellent.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter