Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It's All in the Eyes


Building on Bucky's post below - the choice of Putin as Time's Person of the Year. I was looking through the Time site and was enjoying this paragraph:
No one is born with a stare like Vladimir Putin's. The Russian President's pale blue eyes are so cool, so devoid of emotion that the stare must have begun as an affect, the gesture of someone who understood that power might be achieved by the suppression of ordinary needs, like blinking. The affect is now seamless, which makes talking to the Russian President not just exhausting but often chilling. It's a gaze that says, I'm in charge.
It reminded me of this quote of Bush's from 2001 - "I looked the man in the eye. I was able to get a sense of his soul. I knew that President Putin was a man with whom I could work."

Now it all starts to make sense. Of COURSE a souless cold monster is just the person with whom Bush could work - after all, this is the man who chose to work with Cheney and Rumsfeld. Compared to those two, Putin's icy stare probably seemed soft and cozy.

3 Comments:

Blogger buckarooskidoo said...

Interesting that the people I know there laughted their heads off when he heard the Bush comment about looking into his eyes...those Russians thought Putin had the deadest eyes of any human being they had ever seen.

It figures, somehow. It's also instructive that Putin shares a penchant for Bush foreign and domestic policy: My Way or the Highway!

10:11 PM  
Blogger TomCat said...

They're soulmates!

5:09 PM  
Blogger Mr. Natural said...

I read an article about how Putin IS THE REAL DEAL when it comes to killing and bush is a not so smooth wannabe. I am sure if you put the two in a ring together bush would be a pile of jelly before Putin got a chance to touch him...the story above about ethics violators is good too! I am so sick and tired of being sick and tired...maybe it is good that the reign of humans is coming to an end.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter