Friday, November 14, 2008

Secretary of State Hil?

I have to say, I'm not a great fan of making Mrs. Clinton our Secretary of State. I am enjoying the fact that every talking head on television has at least heard of (if not actually read), Doris Kearns Goodwin's book on Lincoln's cabinet, "Team of Rivals," and seem to at least understand the book's basic theme, that Lincoln brought his opponents into government in order to hear all opinions and encourage everyone to work together for the greater good. (And while we're all applauding Doris' book, apparently we're all ignoring or forgiving Goodwin's round of plagiarism in "The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys" back in the 80s.) I would hope that if one felt the need to draw Clinton into the new administration, there would be a spot where she could do less damage than at State.

Colin Powell doesn't seem to want to take another swing at the job (who can blame him). I don't hear anyone mentioning Wesley Clark for the job, so that's probably just something that rolls around in my brain. Richardson would be interesting, and has the UN experience from the Clinton years. Then again, I'd like to see us reach beyond the obvious politicians into the category of thinkers. Dennis Ross, for instance, who has experience in dragging the middle east towards peace. Or Richard Holbrooke, who was a runner up to Madeline Albright as Clinton's S of State. Either of these gentlemen would be a better choice than Hillary Clinton for this job. How about finding her something that lets her finally focus (hopefully successfully) on health care?

3 Comments:

Blogger buckarooskidoo said...

Richard Holbrooke would be my choice...he cut his teeth as a diplomat in the vietnam war and was an integral part of the(messy and often distasteful, but ultimately helpful)Dayton Peace Process that brought the Slobo Milosevic wars to an end. He knows quagmires, he knows how to engage dubious types, squeeze them and get results. very important.

dennis ross would be great, too, except that he would be too closely identified with one trouble spot, i.e. israelis and palestinians.

Mrs. Clinton would do a good job, I am sure, but foreign policy has never been her first love, to my knowedge, and she certainly has more expertise on the domestic side of things. the senate is where it's at, it seems to me, for her...

9:01 PM  
Blogger Vigilante said...

Wes Clark was my favorite Veep candidate, which I blogged about into oblivion, so it's natural that I favor him has Secretary of State.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was mine too vigilante. Great minds thinking alike? :).

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter