Thursday, March 19, 2009

Did he REALLY say that?!

I was underwhelmed at the prospect of former President George W. Bush's giving his first post-Presidency speech in Calgary, Alberta yesterday. Indeed, whenever our former President has spoken, in or out of office, it all sounds to me like the voice of the teacher in the Peanuts cartoon, i.e. blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah into infinity. But this line he delivered afterward about his upcoming memoir--this is assuming he has a publisher--suddenly sat me up straight in my seat:

"I’m going to put people in my place, so when the history of this administration is written at least there’s an authoritarian voice saying exactly what happened,” Bush said."

Since Bush has a tendency to stumble around in his public utterances, you want to assume he meant "authoritative" rather than "authoritarian," because he was all about freedom--you know, God's gift to all peoples, etc. etc., ad nauseum.

But it certainly occurred to me that this might be the best example in world history of a Freudian slip...am I wrong?

1 Comments:

Blogger Karlo said...

I've had enough of that particular authoritarian voice.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter