Friday, July 28, 2006

Hey, Maybe Bush Has a Point Here

You know lately Bush has taken a lot of heat for people, including myself, for his use of "signing statements." You know, this administration's favorite way to get out of having to obey the law. Sure, they'll let a law go into action, if they don't like part of it, Bush just sends over a signed statement saying that he doesn't think part of the law is "constitutional" or appropriate for him, so he's going to ignore it.

Sure, I've blased to prez for trying to determine what is or isn't "constitutional" and sure, he's a constitutional scholar in the same way that I'm a Pat Robertson fan club member. But I've decided to step back from my criticism and look at the bigger picture.

Which is, of course, why don't I start using my own "signing statements" in life. Take my next tax payment in April. I'd say a good 30-40% of my taxes are going for things that are "unconstitutional" as I would interpret them, so along with my tax form, I think I'll send in a "signing statement" explaining why they're not getting as much of my money as usual.

And at work? Just THINK of the possibilities. Your boss gives you something to do and you don't want to do it -- just give him back your "signging statement" that states you believe that job is "unconsitutional" or inappropriate for your position and you're just not going to do it.

And the boss can't fire you because all you have to do is say, "hey, look, the President does it!"

Finally, an excuse we can all use!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter