Sunday, August 05, 2007

Cry Me a River

The NYTimes today has a story titled "Millionaires Who Don't Feel Rich" - about people who are worth a few million dollars, yet don't think of themselves as rich. "In part because they are surrounded by people with more wealth--often a lot more."

I don't know where to begin with this. Gee, I'm sorry that your fortune isn't as great as those around you just doesn't do it. You know, there are people in my apartment building who make a whole lot more than I do. I bet everyone who reads this spends time around people who make a whole lot more than they do.

But at some level, and I'm willing to put that level in the hundreds of thousands, let alone millions, you need to realize that you have a hell of a lot more money than most of the people on this planet. That you have a bank account, a house and probably a whole lot of extras. What you are not, is poor. You are not middle class. You are rich.

So buck up and face facts. You don't have to use check cashing services to make it through the month because you can't afford a bank account. You don't have to live on the street or in a car when things get rough. You don't have to rely on public or private charity (although depending on your business, you probably get a hell of a lot of public charity -- although it's called corporate tax breaks in your world).

I'm sorry if your kids don't get the fanciest cars that their friends get. Or that your neighbor has a private jet and you don't. Or that you feel you have to work 60-80 hour weeks to maintain your lifestyle (as opposed to those who work those hours in 2-3 minimum wage jobs just to live day to day).

Cry me a river. And get out of my face.

5 Comments:

Blogger TomCat said...

Not only that, as long as they have just one tiny little $million, they qualify for Bush's one successful welfare program: No Millionaire Left Behind.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Carol Gee said...

Poor babies. Do you suppose they are just plain bored? Or jaded? Or spiritually impoverished? Right on, L. I should live so long.

6:41 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

I am beating my head against the wall.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said TomCat.

I guess they never bother their little brains with how the middle class gets by without huge tax breaks and tax shelters.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A whole lot of waste space - those jealous millionaires. Jerks.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter