Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Does it matter...

...how much the candidates in the '08 race know about foreign affairs and personalities? You look toward the current occupant of the White House and exclaim, "YES!," although I don't think knowledge figured in any of his decisions-- it was the conviction that either a)God was speaking through the President or b)everyone would embrace the President's idea that "freedom" is God's gift to the peoples of the earth. Recent history, though, fails to turn up a correlation between foreign affairs knowledge and experience and success in international dealings, as Anne Applebaum argues in today's Washington Post.

It makes you wonder whether electing a President is much more than a high-stakes crapshoot...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking much the same thing as I was reading that editorial this morning. I loved how she pointed out that some of those dissing Obama for his limited experience had little more than a few years in the Senate themselves.

I go by the theory that dumb is dumb, regardless of circumstances. Although Bush has done a great job of showing that governors don't make good presidents. (Clinton loyalists would object to that on his behalf I'm sure.)

Senators or Governors or Mayors? I don't care. I just want someone who can actually THINK with his brain, not just use it to keep his skull from caving in.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Mr. Natural said...

Now now, La Pop...a person WITHOUT a caved in skull can be a real asset...

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter