Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's About Time - But Will it Stand?

A US District Judge in New York ruled that provisions of the Patriot Act are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. That the law violates the first amendment AND separation of powers provisions because it prohibits people who get those FBI letters from revealing their existence, nor does it provide for adequate judicial oversight of the process. This from a case brought by one of my favorite groups of all time, the ACLU (yes, I have often been a card-carrying member).

Well, that more than a few provisions of the PA are unconstitutional is no surprise to many of us. That the US Congress continues to sign off on renewing them continues to astonish me. As excited as I am about this ruling, I know that it's just a small step. Hopefully the beginning of the road back to sanity. But I dare not get too excited yet.

The judge - Victor Morrero called the letters provisions "the legislative equivalent of breaking and entering, with an ominous free pass to the hijacking of constitutional values." WTG Judge Morrero! My new hero.

Read the AP story here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter