Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wm F. Buckley Dead

Being that I'm as far left as it gets on many things, it may be surprising to find that I'm sad to hear that Wm. F. Buckley has died. I always enjoyed his show (Firing Line). I couldn't have disagreed more on most of what he had to say, but I always enjoyed his enthusiasm and arguments. He was wrong so often (IMHO) but loved that he actually had an argument to make for his views. Something that we see precious little of these days of knee-jerk right-wingism. Evolution is bad because it is. Or Gay marriage is bad because it is. Good grief, if you have an argument against something, then make it. If you can't, maybe there's something wrong with what you're arguing for doofus!

RIP Bill.

2 Comments:

Blogger buckarooskidoo said...

I agree with you on WFB. I don't forgive him or the NR for failing to back the civil rights movement, because i think that was the single most important social issue of our time, and they were badly wrong about that. But I thought "Firing Line" was one of the best pbs programs ever, and you're right, he had principles on which to base his assertions and actually offered evidence to support those assertions.

Beats the heck out of the faith-based foreign policy mavens and Swift Boat character assassins, doesn't it? WFB's successors have not maintained his intellectual honesty or rigor.

11:22 AM  
Blogger TomCat said...

He made racism seem almost classy.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home







Free Web Counter
hit Counter